Tuesday, June 22, 2010

2. The local sheriff meanders onto the premises

You chose:
2. The local sheriff meanders onto the premises.

As my head hits the floor, Gordon hears a siren and sees whirling lights. He enters the house of my friend with the tiled living room floor and hides behind the front door. The car pulls up, and an old sheriff exits the vehicle. Unbeknownst to Gordon, I had called 911 when he first set foot on the doorstep.

The Sheriff proceeds to the front door, hesitantly. He cautiously opens it; the front door now hides the killer from his sight. He sees my lifeless body, puddling blood underneath my head. He walks in and sits on the sofa. He thinks to himself of fear and heroes and what makes up the difference. I'm getting too old. This is no country for an old man.

He puts his face in his hands, brushing his fingers through his thinning gray hair, all the while cognizant that the killer is still in the house. I know he's here. But he's probably quicker than me. Any sudden movement and I'm dead too. And what good is that to my wife? He'll get away just as easily as if I let him go now. Only my wife won't suffer like this poor dead man's family will.

He stands up and turns his back to the door. He says aloud. "I've dreamt of darkness all around me. In these dreams I can succumb to it or press on past it to a place of serenity." Gordon slips out the front door.

THE END.




No comments:

Post a Comment